Wednesday, July 26, 2006

So I have this 5x7 camera that I bought on that auction site for $40. It even came with a lens and shutter. This shot of Alexander is using the original lens and was done in my studio in Utah. I kind of miss that studio...
Contact printed on Ilford MGRC warmtone paper

I have always been a fan of the effects of barrel lenses, especially the Petzval design. This is the first test shot I made with one of these lenses. I had to make a shutter box to house the Packard shutter. The shutter box fits in where the lensboard goes and the lens attatches to the front of the box.
This is also the first LF photo I've made in New Jersey.

When I pull that giant wooden camera out all the neighborhood kids just sort of flock around. I decided to put them to work and used them as models while I tested the Peztval lens.


My serious son.


My equally serious daughter.


More neighbor kids. This time it's three sisters. I have no idea how I managed to get them all in focus at the same time.


Really crappy exposure but captures the dynamic of these twins perfectly.

1 comment:

Aaron Jones said...

I know you have been trying to get me into large format photography. Keep showing me pictures like these and you will definitely get me. These pictures are beautiful. I love the focal range effects that you are achieving. Photoshop blur effects could never come close to what you are doing. I find the pictures very interesting to look at. They pull me in. You have some very nice shots of Zander.