Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Yard

The inside of the house has been getting a lot of attention so I thought I'd post some pics of what we're faced with outside...
This is the front and where I put the piles of yard stuff for the city to come collect. No one knows when they come and no one has seen them. Every few weeks or so the piles just disapear. Currently I have 11 piles in the front and 4 in the back. I've done this three times so far.


Looking from the front down the backyard is this side strip of open area next to our yard. It's a favorite spot for fireflies in the evening and butterflies during the day. I ride my bike down a good stretch of this until I get to the road with the nice bike lane.


This is the street behind our yard. It's called Jenny Jump lane, how cool is that?
Our yard is made up of half usable area and half "forest". The back half is the forest part.


From the strip of open grass next to our yard looking into the woods of our backyard.


I think at one point the woods were maintained but it's been a long-long time since anyone has put a hand to this stuff. Here's Alexander standing in the old arbor. He's probably getting several mosquito bites.


On the other side of our house is this area. There used to be six or so old pines and a sick crabapple tree here. Half of the crabapple was actually a very healthy collection of poison ivy vines. Now it's a great spot for a swing set.

For Father's day this year Candace gave me a chainsaw. We named it Pepe and it's awesome!


More of Pepe's handiwork. Crabapple stump.


In the back woods there are two sheds. This one was still in great shape except there was a huge willow leaning over it and several smaller trees blocking access to willow. What's that Pepe? But of course you can.
The kids actually talk to Pepe and I now have to do the "voice" all the time. I also have to do the voice of the sledghammer named DonCarlos.



Here's the other shed just as you go into the woods. I kinda want to put a moonshine still in there or something but it's falling apart.



I literally hit the back twice with DonCarlos...

No comments: